HENNA

Henna is a dye prepared from the plant known botanically as lawsonia inermis which is used usually for temporary body art or body staining.




I don't know if somebody else loves henna the way I do. Some people think iys unusual considering the face that I'm from the east, was born and raised in the east and henna art is perculiar to people from the Northern part of Nigeria.

But in Nigeria today almost everyone loves henna irrespective of where they're from or their religion. On the other hand some people think henna is for Muslim women from the North because they always decorate themselves with henna during Eid celebration. But these days henna body art has more to do with fashion than tradition or religion.

I like getting henna decorations done on my hand from time to time although I usually get the chance to do this during Christmas holiday and other holiday seasons why, because I'm still in school and if I come to school with henna on both hands I'll have a lot of questions to answers from both students and lecturers.

So I play it safe and do my henna when school is not in session especially during christmas season.








In my experience as an Igbo girl that likes henna and gets henna decorations from time to time, I've come to realize that people in the Eastern part of the country find it unusual and out of place.

Last Christmas when I did my last henna decoration, I was amazed at the way people were staring at me and my henna covered hands. Some will even go as far as asking some funny questions like:
Them: what is this?
Me: henna.
Them: I thought its tattoo?
Me: no its henna, body art.
Them: is it permanent?
Me: no its temporary; it last for a week or two.
Them: why did you do it?
Me: because I like it.
And the question goes on and on and on.

You may ask where I go for my henna drawing when I want it? There are two places where I can go for hen a designs here in Enugu. The first place is Owerri Road in the Asata area of Enugu and the second place is the army barracks in Garriki but where I usually go to is owerri road in Hauwa's house (the hausa lady that draws henna). Hauwa is a professional when it comes to henna designs and I like spending time with her.




I think this post is getting too long. Let me stop here. Who else loves henna the way I do? Tell me about your henna experience in the comment section.

CHIDIMMA
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. Psalm 23:2

Comments

Popular Posts